Friday, October 5, 2012

Chop wood, carry water - UPDATED WITH FUN!

Hm.  Well.  A list of facts:

* Apollo's wound is a little puffier and warmer than it was yesterday.
* His hock is a little more swollen than it was yesterday.
* Due to work and other scheduling, I didn't get to walk him yesterday.
* We finished up the doxycycline Wednesday evening.
* I started putting the Equaide on the wound Wednesday evening.

Based on these facts, I decided to stop the Equaide this morning and see how he does with the SSD ointment, if there's any change by tomorrow morning.  The idea is to see whether the swelling has to do with stopping the doxy or using the Equaide -- correlation or causation with the Equaide, basically.

It's not a perfect experiment, because I walked him for quite a while today and even asked him to trot a little so I could see how it was doing.  (He's able to trot without being shocked, but he's definitely lame lame lame on it.   Better than he was, but I'm not going to be asking for much trot this coming week.) My friend and I also swapped little Rhett and Apollo for the afternoon, Rhett in the barn and Apollo in Rhett's pen.

So if the swelling looks way better tomorrow, it'll be hard to tell exactly whether it was the SSD or the exercise.  I'm glad to have him out for at least part of the day.  It's not an ideal turnout situation, but it's better than nothing.  Neither Apollo nor Rhett seems to be having trouble adjusting so far, and Apollo's new neighbor is doing fine too.  Of course, Caden has been leaning over the fence to lick Apollo's neck, so ... odd horse.

I don't know if I'm just not giving the Equaide a long enough trial or what, but ... if the swelling stays down and it looks pink and healthy, I'm going to stick with the SSD and the proud flesh ointment the vet gave me.

Overall, the wound looks pretty good.

And now, a picture and a musical interlude!

(with apologies and thanks to Johnny Cash)





I hear the trailer comin'
It's rolling round the bend
And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when,
I'm stuck in horsey prison, and time keeps draggin' on
But that trailer keeps a rollin' on down to Galway Downs.
When I was just a foal my mama told me, Colt,
Always be a good boy, don't ever kick or bolt.
But I got into a squabble, got kicked by some mean guy,
When I hear that horn a-blowing, I hang my head and sigh.

I bet there's top eventers with perfect braided manes
They're probably drinkin' water and eatin' fancy grain.
Well I know I'm hurt and injured, I know I can't be free
But those horses keep a movin'
And that's what tortures me...

Well if they freed me from this box stall,
If that trailer trip was mine
I bet I'd move it on a little farther down the line
Far from horsey prison, that's where I want to stay
And I'd let the riding lesson blow my blues away.....


3 comments:

  1. Love the song!

    And it's kind of hilariously nerdy that you're doing science experiments on your horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. He's doing well! I will post a longer entry here in just a sec, but the wound is looking healthy and healing, both from the bottom up and the outside in. I am pleased!

      Delete