Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Yuck, good, and yay.

Oh bleargh.  Further worms in waterer.   I'll spare you the grisly details, but I am fully grossed out and tempted to deworm him weekly!    Obviously I won't do that, but ICK.    TW says let's check him in two weeks or so and go from there; probably deworm him again then.

Daily wormer is a thought; I don't know how much more effective it is than monthly/bimonthly paste, though. And it won't happen until the 15th anyway due to money.  (Stupid money.)

Meanwhile, we did trot poles again last night, and added a bit more canter to the mix.  I can see that he's not totally comfortable in the right lead canter, but he's not acting like he's in pain either.  So we'll keep doing a little bit every day or every other day, and I'll keep doing left lead canter as well.   Must try to keep his work balanced on right and left.

I am SO glad everyone's home from Galway!!  Finally!  Woot woot!   :D

Also.  I'm finding that the stronger/fitter I get, the more confident I get in the saddle.  Hard to say whether that's causation or correlation, though, because it could be related to Apollo himself or to the fact that I've been in the saddle or on the end of the longe/lead line every day for the last six weeks.   I think the exercise is a major factor at least, though.  So we'll keep it up.  :)

6 comments:

  1. Have you done a fecal because it may not be him.

    YAY keep up the exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope; he's the only one in his stall. If someone else is getting worms in his waterer, I will be shocked and really impressed. :)

      I might do a fecal on him anyway, see what we might be dealing with.

      Delete
    2. I vote yes to fecal. I'm not a fan of inundating anyone's system with noxious chemicals just for giggles. On a schedule, yes, but beyond that, I say yes to finding out what exactly you're trying to eradicate.

      Two things about daily wormer: 1) $$$ 2) parasite resistance!

      Delete
  2. I recommend the fecal as. well. That way you can target the specific worm with the appropriate wormer that gets that kind of worm most effectively. I did a Fecal on Happy this summer after thinking he was wormy. No worms, so I didnt weaken his resistance by working him unnecessarily. Spend the $, find out WHAT worm it is(if its even from him) then deworm accordingly. JMHO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend the fecal as. well. That way you can target the specific worm with the appropriate wormer that gets that kind of worm most effectively. I did a Fecal on Happy this summer after thinking he was wormy. No worms, so I didnt weaken his resistance by working him unnecessarily. Spend the $, find out WHAT worm it is(if its even from him) then deworm accordingly. JMHO

    ReplyDelete