Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Hooligan

Productive ride last night -- I longed first, then hopped on.  Pony was a little up and spooked at the mirrors, then gave the standards in the corner a really hard look, considering whether he wanted to spook.  I decided that yknow, I'd rather not fight that fight.   Work smarter, not harder!   So I plopped him back on the line and side reins and made him work.   When I got back on 10 minutes later, Apollo was much, much more interested in being cooperative.   Heh.

So we worked on steady, rhythmic trot, trot-canter transitions, and some shoulder fore and leg yield.   We're in a good starting place on the lateral work: I get the concept and the basics, but I need to refine my aids and make the movements better.  He needs to strengthen.  This is a good place to be in.  :)

And the Naughty Pasture Instigator goes back out to pasture today.  *nibbles nails*  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried -- for his safety, for the other horses' safety, for the fences ... but I'm hoping it works out.   Please, Apollo, don't be the pasture troll.  Please.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like my ride today! Lunge, get on, feel a possible explosion brewing, get back off, lunge some more = much more cooperative pony. :)

    ReplyDelete