Friday, June 7, 2013

A survey swiped from Karley!

1: A time you've been scared for your life on horseback.

Scared for my life?  Never.  Plagued by the "OMG WHAT IF YOU BREAK YOUR NECK" monster?  Less lately, but it occurs to me sometimes.

2: There's a huge party at your friends house or you could have a lesson on the same night, which do you go to?

Huge parties aren't my style, so definitely ride, then go home and make dinner and relax.

3: Favorite markings a horse can have.

I'm a terrible sucker for leopard spots, but right now, bay with two hind socks and a narrow blaze is ideal.

4: Would you rather deal with bolting, rearing or bucking?

None of the above, really, because it's all dangerous.

5: Agree or disagree; To have good eq means to be a good rider?

Echo Karley: disagree

6: If you could try any discipline on any horse for 1 day, what discipline and what horse?

Endurance, and maybe on one of Denny Emerson's Morgans or Arabs.

7: 3 horses you'd want to ride/meet the most?

Tzigane *Pb* -- he's the sire of quite a few Trakehners we have at the barn, and I would love to meet him and see him ridden.  I don't think I want to ride him, though.
Thunder Mountain Thor -- I would want him back and young.  I'm in a position now where I could actually have done something with him if he'd come my way.  Plus, leopard spots.
Boyd Martin's Neville.  Just to meet him.  Not ride.

8: On a scale of 1-10 how good would you say your seat is?

5.  Maybe 6?  I don't really know.  Apollo has helped, but I know I'm not seriously impressive or anything.

9: One of your goals for the next year, horse-wise.

What Karley said, again: Go to some shows and do better than last year :)   I think we can actually not embarrass ourselves at the unrecognized trials at the end of this month.  (OMG AT THE END OF THIS MONTH MUST GO PRACTICE XC)

10: Would you rather teach lessons or train horses?

Karley is wise: None of the above. I like taking lessons and working with my horse.

11: Have you ever given a lesson for money?

No; I don't know enough to teach.  Plus, I'm an amateur and want to keep it that way.

12: If you were a trainer, would you want to train little kids, pre-teens, teens or adults?

I'd prefer adults, I think.

13: Have you ever ridden someone's horse for money?

No; I don't know enough to teach.  Plus, I'm an amateur and want to keep it that way.

14: If given the opportunity, would you exercise track horses?

Sure!  I might get over my concern about Going Really Fast.

15: On a scale of 1-10 what is your confidence like in the saddle?

Karley nails it again: Right now, 7.

16: 3 things you need to work on, riding-wise?

Rider fitness, confidence, and leg position.

17: 3 things your horse needs to work on.

A little less lazy every now and then.  Most everything else is rider-related, though.

18. Top 3 favorite riders?

My teacher
His daughter
His daughter's husband

:)

19: Is there anyone you'd say is a bad rider ? (don't give names)

Yes.

20: Are you better on the flat or over fences?

I'd say that competence, up to a certain level, is in my future in both categories.

21: How high do you think you've jumped?

3'3", but it was a long time ago.

22: How high do you think your horse would be capable of jumping?

Jury's still out.  When he was younger, he started to get bug-eyed around 3', but he hadn't had as much experience then.  We'll see where he goes, but no matter what, I love him.

23: Opinion on tackless riding.

Pretty cool!  Reveille seems to have taken to it like a duck to water.  For riders, it can develop a REALLY great seat and feel, but it can get some bad habits started too.

24: Have you ever lied or over-dramatized anything about your riding?

Probably, but over-dramatized how bad I am, rather than how good.  ;)

25: Do you think you're a good rider?

No.  I don't suck, and I think I will be competent, but right now, no.

26: Ever had barn drama?

Not a lot.

27: Favorite things about the barn you're at?

The people, the horses, the facility, and the atmosphere.  I.E.: everything.

28: Will you show next year? If so in what?

Next year, as in 2014?  I sure hope so.  I currently plan to go BN at a recognized show sometime next year.  However, never make firm plans with horses.  The universe will not just laugh; it will cackle evilly.

29: Plans for your horse over the next year?

Build partnership, improve dressage, improve stadium, get more exposure to XC, get fitter.  See previous re: plans, though.

30: Would you share your tack with people?

Sure, but only people I trust.

31: Has a horse ever shattered your confidence?

*hysterical laughter*   Ahem.  Yes.

32: Ever been scared to get on a horse?

Yes.

33: Do you get nervous before shows?

Yes, but I'm getting better at coping with that now that I have Apollo under me.

34: Hunters or Jumpers?

Eventers, baby!

35: Last time you fell off? What happened? Were you hurt?

Last year, just about this time, actually; it was the Monday after the May event derby at home.  I fell off while trying to redeem myself over a course that had beaten me the day before.  I hit my head and cried.  It wasn't pretty.

1 comment: